If you’ve never owned a website before you probably think that starting one is really difficult but you would be wrong. Obviously it can be complicated if you’re a giant company with millions of visitors per day and have a website with all sorts of bells and whistles on it, but to start your own blog is easy peasy!
- First you’ll need a topic. It’s best to write about a passion or hobby as one, you’ll know what you’re talking about and two, you’ll be motivated to keep posting content as it’s something you have an interest in. There might be plenty of money in insurance but unless that’s your thing then it’ll get pretty boring pretty quickly. Later on when your passion blog is pumping maybe you can start a blog for the money, but for now, just choose something that interests you and more often than not it’ll make more money than a topic chosen just for money.
- Next you would normally choose a blogging platform to use but today I’m choosing it for you, it’s WORDPRESS! It’s a no brainer. WordPress is free, it’s the most used blogging platform in the world (by far), it’s super easy to set up, and it’s very well supported. Later when you want to customize your blog you’ll find a ton of add ons or plug ins. So don’t even bother researching others, just use WordPress, it’s awesome.
- Thirdly, you should think about what domain name to use. Generally I would suggest a dot com domain and something memorable. The shorter the better but you might have to get creative as a lot of the good names are taken or very expensive to buy. So money.com would obviously be taken already but something like moneymakingmonkey.com might be available.
- The next step is a very important one: Choosing a webhost. Choosing the right one will save you a lot of heartache and worry.. and money! Starting out you’ll have very few visitors so you’ll be able to find hosts with very affordable monthly plans. I suggest Bluehost as they have plans starting from $3.95 per month, they have a one-click WordPress installation feature, they offer excellent support, and they give you a free domain name. They make it almost too easy to start your own WordPress blog. If you do have any questions they have a very responsive 24/7 help desk to help you out.
- That should get your blog live and you can start posting. Then you can start to customize your blog and give it your own look and feel with blog templates, plug-ins, and so much more. I’ll make that part 2 though. This post is just about going live, getting your domain name, webhost, and being able to post articles on your blog now. There’s so much more to learn 🙂
So get started today, take action and make yourself an online publisher! This could be the start of something big. Remember to share your super-fantastic blog with me after you’ve posted a few articles.